Monday, May 07, 2007

Margarine By Any Other Name Would Still Be A Blog

I hardly watch tv. Well I'm blessed to have etv and only etv, not even SABC. (long story).I only found out this weekend that Mnet Open Time no longer exists. So anyways I'm behind with tv. I have x files on dvd, I have LOTR on dvd, I have ADSL and YouTube. I am happy. I read newspapers and I select the news I want online, so don't really watch the news either. Well that, and I have serious issues with SA news and it's total reliance on the proximity before importance clause. O and with etv(though May looks like a good movie month) the adverts drive me insane, I can just see the Fellowship of the Ring next weekend dragging out into a 6 hour affair.

But...But...twice this weekend I was so blessed as to see the Stork Margarine/Cuilliness(sp?) stuff being advertised and all this woman talks about is her blog with an AWFUL pun (I swear not even I am that bad) something to do with "my blog is just MySpace" har har. QUESTION: "what does margarine have to do with blogging?" I have no idea, though Cobain darling dearest did.But yes, he has a gutter mind.

I have enough media and marketing knowledge to say that you sell a product to a target market. Right? So are bloggers margarine people? I am not. I loathe the stuff.Dunno about you guys though, but that ad is THE (I typed that pressing shift key down...that's how much emphasis is required)most retarded thing I've ever seen. Who is the moron who think-tanked that up? Furthermore how idiotic are the Stork people to accept such a poor ad and ridiculous concept? It goes beyond Blaaaaah, it goes headfirst into the realm of "unforgiveable".

Maybe I don't get the point. Maybe it's briiiilllliant and I am completely missing the Loerie potential of this bey-bee.


Then Bullard had his say on blogging and bloggers. The past 4 weeks the Sunday Times has been having this blog mania thing. It's like SA has discovered blogging. No wait, cancel that...the internet*wide-eyed wonder*. whoopdidoo. -_-

Furthermore(no she isn't done yet) there's this n00b upstart ex-tech support guy(probably, that's what my imagination says) at the Sunday times who has this YouTube punting column. Basically tells you what to search for for a cheap lol. Now I find this unacceptable; that he gets paid to abuse bandwidth and publish this shyte. Anyone can 'Tube on their own. Somehow that sounded worse than it was supposed to. What I really wanna know is how dumb do they think we are? Obviously they have not encountered real 'net addicts. Condescending, that's the word we use to describe good ol' Sunday Times.


Okay I need a conclusion, I haven't blogged a real Chronicle in forever and a day. Aaaaaaaalllways. Shyte! I make an awful Jon Bon Jovi. And now I must be off to go and speak to young and impressionable first year students about the nature of sources which they employ and how no matter how l33t you think wiki is...when it comes to assignments; gimme Google scholar and no one gets failed.


"I know, I used to find the Internet intimidating too. But this is amazing. It's... my space where I can just express myself...."

LOL (mustremembernottolaughattheStorklady)
rah*


PS happy birthday to H today and to R tomorrow. Love you guys lots :)

Labels: , ,

14 Comments:

Blogger Waseem said...

I found the article more offensive than the advert, because you can always expect stupid ad campaigns, case in point, The Vodacom Meerkat, the point of this entire campaign escapes me. What does a dancing meerkat have to do with a cellular network, there arent even cellphones in the adverts *sigh*.

The article was just insulting all bloggers because this guy seems threatened by blogging. I personally within the last couple of months have read blogs of people capable of writing books let alone columns

May 07, 2007 3:34 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

David Bullard is David Bullard. Used to be quite amusing. I think bullets change you. His whole column was so funny. He obvioulsy knocked it off quicker than I do a blog post, with typos. Because he has no grasp of what it is. Maybe someone should teach him.
This is the same man who said that he is not held to the same journalistic constraints because he is not a journalist, but a columnist. Now he thinks Bloggers should be reined in.
Or maybe it was a go at anonymous bloggers. Then I guess I wholeheartedly support him because anonymous bloggers are the pimple on the A-hole that is bloggendom.

Ok I think I am missing breakfast. Dont forget to tell your first years, good research takes time and the internet is mostly crap.

May 08, 2007 8:56 am  
Blogger Mukhtar Ahmad Khan said...

Ah the stalk advert, thought the same thing when I saw it.. baseless really.

May 08, 2007 2:14 pm  
Blogger Zaahir Essa said...

yeh was weird. thought it had to do with "her own creativity" when she was making "her own shit" on the stove using stork. coz....u can be proud of yeself...using stork.

*shrug* thats as far as i understood it

May 08, 2007 10:12 pm  
Blogger ZK said...

lmao
we were talking about that ad awhile back and came to the relisation that the ad company knew fuck all about what they were talking about....

May 09, 2007 9:25 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

yep, that happens when a particular brand tries to move beyond its raison d'ĂȘtre.

although, my mum now wants me to set up a blog for her :)

May 10, 2007 9:27 am  
Blogger Saaleha Idrees Bamjee said...

I am anonymous.
(the comment i mean, not like in that 'we are all dying' Plath kind of way)

May 10, 2007 9:31 am  
Blogger mazozo said...

I totally agree pointless add campaign

May 10, 2007 1:50 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Quite possibly the worst advert I've ever seen.
Pointless drivel!

May 10, 2007 6:44 pm  
Blogger qdee said...

lol i hate that ad!! dam stork needs to swoop down and carry her off to some blogless jungle ;)

May 11, 2007 7:56 am  
Blogger Prixie said...

very strange indeed - here we have broadcast media combining blogging and margerine and a columnist blasting us a serial closeted killers.
ah, dont you just love SA media?!

May 11, 2007 10:42 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i like margarine

May 19, 2007 11:19 am  
Blogger Major_chip_hazard said...

Im dairy allergic so that ad was probably aimed at lactose intollerent bloggers....lol sheesh I can talk kak

May 20, 2007 2:09 pm  
Blogger bb_aisha said...

A while back,frnds n i dissed this advert to bits.wot i cant understand is how such a dumb ad can be allowed to take up our valuable time for so long. Bccsa should make provision for complaints against intellectually challengd ads. Ps:been away,but will change (maybe:-p) font colour and style on my blog

May 26, 2007 11:39 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home

< Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 2.5 License. For your own viewing pleasure, and for the sanity of my mailbox, please view this blog on Mozilla FireFox instead of Internet Explorer.