Thursday, March 13, 2008

I R teh_rememberz!!

So yeah about that last post...

Well I remembered the arb thought I had before I wanted to post that thought and then forgot it and then posted on my forgetting instead.

A combination of an old Organ Harvester post (Note: old post in Organ Harvesterish is about 2 weeks or so ago)and the whole Irvin 'K'hoza debacle brought back the memory of the original thought I had. And so here it is.

A few weeks back I was flipping through channels because (yeah, I'll admit it) I was looking for Gilmore Girls reruns. (And not a word shall be uttered about this after this ever again.)(I happen to think that show has/had the best dialogue on tv.)(Excessive bracket use for no apparent reason is copyright and trademark blah blah blah to The Chronicles.)(Thought I'd shove my stylistic disclaimer in there, three years down the line.)

So back to my point, this advert comes up for this new show (dunno if it's new or old, my tv habits don't go much beyond Gilmore Girls and The X Files reruns when I'm really in the mood to watch a show, or the over dramatization and exaggerated acting styles of the mid-life-crisis-drop-out-of-work-and-take-up-night-school-acting-and
-drama-classes- students-who-find-bit-parts-portraying-historical-figures-for-
The-History-Channel-documentaries-but-acting-in-a-style-which-makes-me
-wonder-if-they-really-think-they're-in-a-major-cinematic-epic-thingy.)

The show portrays this mainly Black suburb/town in the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina and this town is plagued by crime, violence, corrupt cops, gangsterism, drugs etc on top of the burden of homelessness and displaced citizens. And the few good cops are struggling to make arrests and have safety and order because none of the locals will co-operate or provide information on the criminals in their midst. Now for my point.

I watched the advert and then when the name came up of the show immediately went all zOMG! And then told the nearest sibling "Damn, you know, you know you're South African when your first thought after seeing an advert for a show about a community/theme like that is "RASCISTS! How can they call a town where black people live that and still name a show that and then ADVERTISE on SOUTH AFRICAN TV...""

Yep, people, you guessed it, the show's name is ...

K-Ville.


Shall we play some spot the irony?
rah*

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Waseem said...

She is back! Hope you had a great BIRTHDAY *puts in flashing lights and cues the belated happy birthdays*. You can thank me later :D.

Gilmore girls is just a soapie replacement. You need to watch 30 Rock, How I met your mother, I.T. Crowd and Pushing Daisies. If you don't like them, you can write off TV.

While you're at it, watch The Class, Kat reminds me of you.

March 13, 2008 9:32 am  
Blogger My dartboard said...

finally, the rock has come back to...

YAY i get a mention. hopefully this qualifies me in the hearts of your cult followers.

as for racism, read bullard's column from yesterday.

i think we are way too obsessed with race. DURBAN city council being a prime example of new democratic social engineering.

and the show seems like a way of saying things without having jody k (as he is known in the underground house circles) and his cohorts looking for reasons to be on tv. what can i say, i dont care about race, because i think we should make an effort to make it count less.

some people have a giant chip on their shoulders. and i have a massive bat.

March 17, 2008 9:25 am  
Blogger cobain said...

LOL

irony spotted indeed.

(but really, only you would think of something as random as that <---bazh wants me to add that)

March 26, 2008 12:31 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home

< Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 2.5 License. For your own viewing pleasure, and for the sanity of my mailbox, please view this blog on Mozilla FireFox instead of Internet Explorer.