Tuesday, September 08, 2009

Twitter is Dajjal**...

...it has one i and people follow it around.

(And all of Blog-ville guffaws collectively to multiple lines of LOL or some combination thereof)

Yes, I'm aware that that is lame, even by my awfully punny standards. But it's one of those half baked ideas sitting in my head for ages and ages now. I have several of them, which, time pending, I might gift you loyal few readers with.

But back to my original point. Since bloggers are to social media as gerbils are to Richard Gere,I thought I'd ask the relevant demographic if there really is any point signing up for Twitter?

Besides stalking Billy Corgan and telling him in 140 characters or less how he's destroyed key ontological and other philosophical ideas for me? Or finding Neil Gaiman and telling him what I thought of American Gods?

Is there any need for greater procrastination online, especially since my pet hate is reading ridiculously, inane status updates on Facebook. And yep, I'm one of those who have to stifle the urge to want to "fix" status updates, when the content doesn't fit in with the sentence structure beginning with the subject. I'm not sure if I do need help, fixing faulty sentences is my job. Literally.

Ah well, let me know. I'd like to see some of your arguments both for and against it.

Maybe I should experiment.Right...Errr...

Hmmm, so let's test this sign off to see if I can conclude this post in 140 characters to check just how elastically economical words really are.

What's the tally there? Eyeballing (from work experience) I'd say it's around 120 characters sans counting spaces because I'm not sure if Twitter counts spaces as characters or not.Including spaces it's probably closer to target? Perhaps one of you addicts can pop it in to Twitter and get something more substantiative than a guestimate.


The dearth of dormancy.It kills.
Ad herbetudo,
rah*

**Islamic/Arabic term for the AntiChrist.Regarded in popular culture as " the beast we call the Desolate One. ...The First of the Fallen. The Spoiler of Virgins, the Master of Abortions!"

(You may not confuse the ** with the single * next to my name, because whilst I may be regarded as postively wicked in some circles, I too realise that there are some powers out there superlative to my own :P)

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , ,

8 Comments:

Blogger Az said...

I've been on Twitter for just about two months now and I still prefer Facebook. Even the stalking (and I'm a stalkaholic) isn't enough incentive to lure me to addiction.

September 10, 2009 8:32 am  
Blogger M Junaid said...

i dont see the point in twitter

yes i use it

yes im a hypocrite

September 11, 2009 12:25 am  
Blogger Waseem said...

Ok I didn't want to leave a comment since I already spoke to you about this post. But the wordveri compelled me. The wordveri is "imsold" Which could be a sign or a coincidence. Some people say there is no such thing as coincidence, but then I would say to them why did they invent that word then.

I like twitter, more than fb, for no specific reason.

September 11, 2009 10:04 am  
Blogger Prixie said...

i am on twitter too. i log in rarely though.

you know, you would make a fanatastic sub-editor! though, i would crinch in shame if you had to sub my work. lol...

September 14, 2009 12:28 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think twitter is a newsfeed. cuts down the need to be long winded and can be a good traffic generator. better than LoL'ing in random blogs with a "great post" comment.

What I have found is that if you use twitter cleverly you can do what most people want on the web, more traffic. I also have found useful bits of information.

the new twitter T&C are worrying me though.

September 14, 2009 9:58 pm  
Anonymous Junaid said...

let me put it this way:
Facebook Status Updates are to Twitter Updates as the Iliad is to Chappies Wrappers.

September 16, 2009 10:41 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

@ *rah: yes, twitter counts the spaces. I can't even do a decent cryptic quote without getting cut off.

@ Junaid: Either your standards are terribly low or you have some of the greatest writers of the last 100 years or so as friends on Facebook. Same retarded status messages, just fewer characters to challenge the people who already twk lyk dis.

September 16, 2009 9:04 pm  
Blogger rah* said...

@ Azra: Yeah, I doubt you can stalk anonymously on Twitter, cos people would see you following them. Defeats the purpose.

@MJ: Point taken, using it is one thing, enjoying it is another.

@ Waseem: loll, you always find the weirdest word veris. I'm guessing I would like twitter if only for the lack of Farmville shit on my home page. OMG! can you imagine the stalker retard on twitter! The spelling would KILL me.

@GrandPrixie :D I am a sub editor lol, it's one of my varied freelance jobs. I quite enjoy nit picking :P

@ OH, what are they? and can you block people from following you?

@Junaid: you are definitely my most loyal fan club member ever! Welcome back (again :P) yeah I agree with Lily on this one, I think I need to hax your fb and read your friends' updates :P

@Lily, I would get Twitter only if you promise you'll attack Billy with me :P

September 28, 2009 1:23 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home

< Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 2.5 License. For your own viewing pleasure, and for the sanity of my mailbox, please view this blog on Mozilla FireFox instead of Internet Explorer.